EXSQUEEEZZZEEE ME!!! OH DEAR!!
REFLUX ROBS YOUR RIGHT TO RELAX AFTER YOUR YUMMY MEAL
Do you avoid going out to dinner or to friend’s houses because of your reflux? Reflux is a very uncomfortable condition that can be caused by a multitude of things.
It is the regurgitation of acidic stomach contents back into the oesophagus, and is the cause of heartburn. Heartburn is the unpleasant, burning feeling that wells up from the pit of the stomach, and travels up your chest and into your throat.
- STRESS is a big one
- Rich meals, pastries and desserts
- Greasy foods, high fat foods
- Excess alcohol
- Dairy (yes that glass of milk WON'T help in the long run and can actually create even more acid)
- Spicy meals/curries
- Citrus and citrus juices
- Eating too quickly or close to bedtime
- Excess or too little stomach acid
To combat the side effects of reflux try the following:-
- Eat regular small meals
- Don’t drink excessive fluids during a meal as this will decrease stomach acid which is needed to digest food properly
- Eat with care (chew food thoroughly) and drink slowly (ie drink your food and eat your drink)
- Peppermint Tea
- Chamomile Tea
- Lemon Balm Tea
- ½ to 1teaspoon of slippery elm powder mixed in water 15-20 minutes before each meal (you can use tablets if this is preferred)
- Use probiotics (eg acidophilus/bifidus) to help line the gut with ‘good’ bacteria, these are available at Health Shops/Chemist in the refrigerated section
- Learn to ‘breathe’ properly
- Avoid tight clothes when dining
- Elevate the head of the bed slightly so that when you are sleeping in a horizontal position the reflux of acid into the oesophagus is less likely, as it's going against gravity.
- Avoid the foods that trigger your symptoms (you are probably aware of many of them by now)
Reflux does not have to be a life sentence, as a Naturopath I have seen the benefits of natural remedies when applied to my patients, click here to find out more about a personal Naturopathic Consultation.